Mission And Values
Our Mission: Grow in Faith, Share Jesus Christ, Serve Others
St. Mark is focused on Real Faith for Real Life. What does that mean?
- We’re All About Jesus because we know Jesus is the reason we are here.
- John 3:16 – ‘For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.
- John 1:3-5 – All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
- We’re Always Ourselves because you don’t have to be perfect to have a place at Jesus’ table.
- 2 Cor 2:9 – He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’ So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
- Mark 14:22-24 – While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, ‘Take, eat; this is my body.’ Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will never again drink of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.’
- We’re Better Together because we experience God’s joy, love, and care through each other.
- Acts 2:46-47 – Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having the goodwill of all the people. And day by day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.
- We’re Ready To Share with others because we’ve been blessed.
- 1 Timothy 6:17-18 – As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, generous, and ready to share.
- Luke 6:38 – Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.’
- We Answer God’s Call when the Holy Spirit asks us to trust and follow.
- Acts 1:8 – But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.’
What We Believe
St. Mark is a Christian church that belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. As a Lutheran church, we believe that:
• Jesus and the Bible reveal God’s word in our lives. God’s word is living and active among us.
• The ten commandments, the Lord’s Prayer, and the Nicene and Apostles Creeds are central to our teachings.
• Baptism and Communion are essential “means of grace,” they are ways God shows us how much we are loved through physical objects.
• Martin Luther, who lived in Germany in the 15th century, was a religious teacher who helped our forefathers better understand scripture, and began this group committed to always being made new in God’s world.